For more information on
this Gordon family, contact:
Descendants of John Gorden (b. ca. 1765)
John Gordon was born abt. 1765 unknown place. Some say GA. They resided in GA, but I don't know where. His brother, Issac in Effingham County History by Perrin in IL. says 5 Gordon brothers in Effingham Co. in Flemsburg, 1840 are his nephews: Joseph, Pleasant, Nelson, Abraham, and John. Uncle Issac was listed on 1850 Mortality list as 80 y/o b. 1770 in NC. William soon joined them and were all land owners and several married there. William traveled with Abraham and inlaws, John and Nancy Lewellen.
John Gordon marries Francis Marten (unk. place) b. 1767 d. 1857 in Smith Co. Tx., Wood Verner Cem. on Blackfork Ck, New Harnony, Tyler, Tx. Her tombstone reads,"In Memory of Francis Gorden, the dau. of J. Marten and the wife of J. Gorden. Departed this life Oct. 9 1857, 90 years old. Buried beside her is John Gorden who departed this life 1850 aged 55. (has to be her son, John) Historical marker says he is first burial in Wood Verner Cem. neither he or Francis appears on the 1850 Smith Co. Census. It appears she was in household of son John Gordon in Effingham 1840 census. Buried beside John are John and Nancy Lewellen, parents of both Abraham and William's wives.
Children of J. Gordon and Francis:
1. John Gordon b. ca 1797-GA d. 1850 Smith Co. Tx
2. Joseph b. 1803/1806 GA.
*3. William b. 1806 GA d. 4 Oct. 1878 Erath co., Tx. m. 9 July 1842 Effingham, IL. Lucinda Luallen. They had 2 sons: Jas. Addison Bishop and William Riley. & many descendants in Tx. and Ok.
4. Pleasant Gordon b. 1807 Tn. d. 19 Dec. 1858 with probate records. Resided Giles Co. Tn. and Flemsburg, Effingham Co., IL. married twice.
5. Abraham "Abram" Gordon b. 1812 TN. d. 1867 Smith Co., Tx. with probate by wife. Unmarked grave. likely Wood Verner. m. Tobitha Luallen 30 Dec. 1839, Effingham Co., IL. She b. NC died Erath Co., Bur. Hannibal Cem. by 2 sisters 14 Feb 1885.
*SEE ALSO: KIT NO. 158402
1) William b. 1837 IL
2) Alfred b. 1840 IL d. 4 May 1862 Civl War
3) David b. 1843 Mo. d. 14 May 1862 Civil War
4) Arthur Abraham b. April 5 1847 Tyler, Smith Co., Tx. d. 18 Oct 1883, age 36 with measels. Bur, Hannibal, Erath Co., Tx. m. Sarah G. Hill 1867, Erath Co. b. 1851-1931. They had 7 children.
Alfred-(1868-1954) Floyd co. Tx, Emily Fulkerson (1870-1946) Wichita Falls; Wm. Riley"Boy" (1872-1909) Erath:
* George Nick Gordon b.13 April 1874 d. 3 Oct 1943. M. Ida Ward 18 July 1896. 5 children.
Arthur (11-3-1897-1960 )Twin
* Oscar (11-3-1893- 1980) twin 2
1. Laverne Houston Gordon (1921-2001) m. Inez Fulfer 11 Oct 1942 Stephenville, Erath Co., Tx.
5. Eli Gordon (1850 Smith Co., Tx-1875, Hood Co. Tx.) Twin 1
6. Levi Gordon (1850 Sm. Co. Tx.-1878 ,28 y/o - pneumonia. Hannibal, Erath Co., Tx. Twin 2 .m. Mary Susan Burton . Had issue.
7. John N. Gordon 1853 Sm. Co., Tx. m. Mary Josephine Hill. He died 1888 Lockney Tx.
8. Jesse Monroe Gordon (1856 Smith Co., Tx.- died unknown)
9. George Gordon (1855/57- died unknown)
10. Parcinda Thornton (1861 Smith Co., Tx.-1941 Hannibal, Erath) m. Pete Thornton. Had issue. Cindy and Robert were on 1865 school census Smith Co.
11. Robert Gordon (1864- died unknown. was on 1870 Census and disappeared.
This family removed from roll Pleasant Retreat Meth Epis. South 1865 in Tyler (Dixie area) Tobitha having lost 2 sons a mother & father, a mother in law, and her husband- followed her sisters and children to Erath on Puluxy and Barton's Creek. William, Abraham's brother, known as "Uncle Bill" had a large portion of land and helped her.